Serve a slice of summer with a tomato and cucumber salad. The vinaigrette is made with salty soy sauce, but before serving, sprinkle a pinch of flaky sea salt to add texture to the fresh tomatoes
- 1 pound tomatoes, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced English cucumber
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 medium scallions, dark green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 medium serrano or jalapeno chile peppers, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon flaky sea salt (such as Maldon)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Arrange tomato and cucumber slices on a platter. Whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, olive oil, and sugar in a small bowl until sugar dissolves. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of dressing over tomatoes and cucumbers, and top with scallions, chile, and sesame seeds. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with remaining dressing.
Note: You can also add grilled chicken, shrimp or fresh mozzarella to transform this delicious side to delectable main dish.