We LOVE pasta! However, pasta (and any wheat based products) do not always help with a healthy meal plan. There is a compromise that actually tastes great – zucchini noodles! Zucchini is a low calorie, low carb, good source of vitamin C option for any of your Italian favorites. Invest in a good spiralizer and the sky is the limit when it comes to creating new, healthy dishes. Enjoy!
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 TBSP olive oil plus more to drizzle
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 strips of bacon or 1 chicken breast
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chopped kale or spinach, large stems removed
- 1 large zucchini that has been through the spiralizer
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the tomatoes on a baking tray and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Toss to combine thoroughly and season generously with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Set aside once done (they’ll be used in the pasta).
- Ten minutes into baking the tomatoes, place a large skillet over medium heat and add in the bacon slices. Cook the bacon for 3 minutes and then flip over and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until bacon is to your preferred crispiness. Using a slotted spoon, set aside the bacon on a paper-towel lined plate when done. If using chicken breast, lightly cover pan with olive oil and add chicken breast until completely cooked. Remove chicken and allow to rest on a plate. Cut into bite size pieces once cool.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in the skillet. Add in the garlic, cook for 1 minute and then add in the red pepper flakes and kale. Cook the kale until most wilted.
- Add in the zucchini pasta, roasted tomatoes, and protein. Stir frequently for about 2-3 minutes or until noodles are coated with tomato juices and have softened.
- Pour the noodles into a bowl and enjoy!
Adapted from recipe found at http://ditchthewheat.com/spicy-bacon-lettuce-and-roasted-tomato-zucchini-pasta/