Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 45 mins
A really quick and creamy tomato soup that is free of both gluten and dairy. The potato helps to give it a creamy texture without the use of dairy.
• 1 tablespoons canola oil (or oil of choice)
• ½-3/4 cup diced onion
• 1 stick celery, chopped
• 1 medium carrot, chopped
• 1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 28 fl. oz (796 ml) diced tomatoes, no salt added is preferred
• 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
• 1 1/2 cups gluten-free vegetable stock (chicken stock can be substituted) low sodium is preferred
• 1 1/2 – 2 teaspoons salt (less if your diced tomatoes contain salt)
• 1 teaspoon dry parsley (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
• 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
• ½ – 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (to taste)
• You can also add the herb of your choice. Consider basil or oregano (dried or fresh)
1. In a large pot over medium heat, saute the onion, celery, carrot, and garlic in the oil until tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Use an immersion blender to puree the mixture until smooth, or ladle a small amount into a blender and blend until smooth. If you are using a blender or food processor, only work with small amounts of soup at a time. Too much hot liquid in your blender may cause the top to blow off while blending. That’s a horrible mess to clean up.